Impacting all NY subsidiaries, important investment totals $5.265M
BATAVIA, NY – On Thursday, February 3, New York State Governor Kathy Hochul announced that the New York railroads of GVT Rail System and local economic development partners are recipients of multiple 2021 Passenger and Freight Rail Assistance Program (PFRAP) grants. Covering all three of GVT’s Empire State railroads, the five (5) grants total $5.265M, and will provide necessary infrastructure investment for the counties, communities and customers served by GVT Rail.
GRANT DOLLARS AND RECIPIENT PARTIES
- $448,000 to the Depew, Lancaster & Western Railroad Company toward construction of a new bulk-transload track and rail site access improvements for DLWR’s Batavia operations.
- $985,000 to the Falls Road Railroad Company toward safety and service reliability enhancements, including crosstie replacement on the heavily trafficked Lockport-Medina segment as well the replacement of the deck on the FRR’s iconic and historic viaduct over the Erie Canal in Lockport.
- $1.028 million to the Griffiss Local Development Corporation toward enhancing service reliability by replacing ties, switch tie sets and ballast on the former Griffiss Air Force Base, served exclusively by the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern Railroad.
- $1.187 million to the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern Railroad Corporation toward the rehabilitation of its Utica Yard and Lyons Falls mainline tracks, including new ties, switch timbers, ballast (stone), and surfacing.
- $1.617 million to the Erie County Industrial Development Agency toward safety and service reliability enhancements for the Depew, Lancaster & Western Railroad Company, including track rehabilitation and removal of an obsolete bridge.
“We’ve grown a lot, through both hard work and good fortune over the past thirty-five years,” said GVT Rail System Chief Engineer Jeff Marshall. “We appreciate the efforts of our partner organizations and the State of New York to ensure that growth will sustain, safely and unabated, for years to come.”
Genesee Valley Transportation Co., Inc. (GVT Rail System) is a privately-owned shortline and regional rail corporation based out of Batavia, NY. Founded in 1985, GVTRAIL has grown from a five-mile spur in greater Buffalo, NY, to a 318-mile network of five subsidiary railroads in two states. Over our three-and-a-half decades, we’ve set an imprint as an industry-recognized leader in business development and “friendly, customized service.” Be it restoring service to an existing industry or establishing 3T™ Truck-Train Transload Service, the GVT Rail team is always on the lookout for new opportunities to contribute to the economic renaissance of the communities and regions that we serve.